Program Teacher / Teacher for Noe Valley Cooperative Nursery School
Job Type: Part-time (30-32 hours per week)
Reports to: The Board of Directors of Noe Valley Nursery School, Director
Job Starts: August 1, 2021 (with option to start mid-June).
Noe Valley Nursery School (NVNS) is seeking a new Teacher to support our small preschool in a part-time play-based program. Join our loving, learning community that is supportive of your growth and values your leadership. We are seeking someone with creativity and a passion for child-centered, play-based and project-based education. A strong love for nature-based learning and community building is important.
The Teacher will assist the Director in designing and implementing curriculum and provide a healthy and stimulating environment for children to develop socially, physically, emotionally and intellectually. NVNS promotes child-centered activities, hands-on exploration of the physical environment and many opportunities to build social relationships with peers and adults. Children at NVNS learn how to pursue their own interests, discover new passions, respect others and have fun!
NVNS is a nonprofit, nonsectarian, democratic organization where each family participates in the planning, fundraising, and operation of the school. Parents participate in the daily program by serving as assistants to the Director and Teacher.
NVNS is located in the Christopher Playground Clubhouse in San Francisco, adjacent to Glen Canyon and a community garden. This location provides our children with a range of indoor and outdoor activities. Prior to the COVID restrictions implemented by the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH), each school day, the Director and Teacher work with 4-6 parent-teachers and up to 28 children to create an adult-to-child ratio of 1:5. For the 2021-2022 school year, we are currently uncertain how many children and parent-teachers will be permitted in school with the Director and Teacher. NVNS has operated as a parent cooperative and maintained a commitment to play-based learning for over 51 years.
- Support the Director in designing and implementing the curriculum of NVNS.
- Help the Director manage the daily activities of the school.
- Incorporate elements of play-based education into all endeavors.
- Assist children at their own developmental level to enhance social, emotional, and cognitive growth and adjust to the program and to their peers.
- Respond appropriately to conflict with clear, consistent, and age-appropriate strategies.
- Work closely with the Director to guide instruction.
Community Support and Communication:
- Support the growth and healthy development of the NVNS diverse parent community.
- Support, supervise and mentor parent-teachers during daily activities.
- Engage in email communication in a timely manner.
Professional Development & Support:
- Stay informed about current early childhood education research.
- Choose professional development events to attend funded by NVNS.
- Review and file applicable NVNS compliance documents.
- Total Average Weekly Time commitment: 30-32 hours during the school year. *Note that NVNS follows the San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) academic calendar.
- Salaried school year runs from August 1, 2021 to June 1, 2022. This includes planning, orientation, transition week, in-service days, and all regular school days.
- On site time commitment: Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 1:30pm.
- Email correspondence and planning off site as needed.
- In-person meetings (with Director, board members, current or prospective parents) conducted as necessary for up to 30 min, between 1:00-1:30pm.
- Summer: Teacher shall be available via email over the summer as needed.
- Special Events: attend NVNS community events whenever possible.
- Time Off: Up to 10 days paid sick leave and 5 days vacation throughout the salaried school year.
- Holidays: NVNS follows the SFUSD calendar (http://www.sfusd.edu/calendars) with the same school holidays, including Summer Break, Winter Break and Spring Break.
- Optional: Potential afternoon program (with additional compensation), June-July summer program (with additional compensation).
- Twelve postsecondary semester units in early childhood education or child development.
- A current and valid Child Development Associate (CDA) credential.
- A Child Development Associate Teacher Permit, Child Development Teacher Permit, or a Child Development Master Teacher Permit.
- Strong knowledge of child development and a passion to grow in the field.
- Strong connection with child-centered, play-based philosophy, with an emphasis on inquiry-based learning.
- Ability to lead, relate to and empathize with children, parents, and co-workers.
- 5+ years experience working in early childhood education
- Enjoys nature-based education
- Experience building community
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and time management skills
- Experience teaching English Language Learners and/or multiple language skills
- Proficiency in a musical or artistic field
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
To learn more about Noe Valley Nursery School visit our website: https://www.noevalleynurseryschool.com/.
No phone calls please as school is in session.